Sunday 15 April 2018

Charles Dickens - Book Display

Hello everyone,

Hope you are all fine and that you enjoyed your weekend. It's been a tough week for me, from Monday to Sunday. During the whole week I was very busy at the office, the daily routine which never changes, worked on miniatures for my clients and when the weekend arrived things got even tougher. Sometimes you can't do otherwise; priorities take over, even if by doing so, you have to sacrifice the things that you love doing. It's been a stressful weekend starting from Friday. There is always a time when the house you live in needs extra attention and maintenance. On the whole I have managed to do everything except work on my project. 

While clearing up I got to  find two of my displays in my studio flat. I totally forgot all about them. One of my displays was the book display called Charles Dickens. 


 This display book goes way back to 2011 and funnily enough, I never ever shared it here on my blog.  I remember that for 2011 the Dolls House Emporium had celebrated the UK rich literacy heritage that included the 150th anniversary of the publication of 'Great Expectations' by Charles Dickens, the 200th anniversary since the birth of Charles Dickens himself and the 200th anniversary since the publication of 'Sense and Sensibility' by Jane Austin. 

Obviously as I always loved English Literature. even in my younger days, at school, English Literature was my favorite subject apart from the English language and History. I loved Shakespeare, Jane Austin, Charlotte Bronte but I loved Charles Dickens the most. I remember I studied Great Expectations which I was totally hooked on. Some of my favorite books were, Christmas Carol, The Haunted House, Oliver Twist and The Old Curiosity Shop.  They bring so many memories.

So when the Dolls House Emporium made this book display, I wanted to do something that reminded me of the love I had for the English Literature especially Charles Dickens. The book display isn't big but still a few items can be displayed. 

Today I was shocked to see that the book display wasn't looking as nice as it did when I made it. The wall paper was stained and the outer paper of the display was falling apart. 




I couldn't bare seeing it in this state, so after putting the kids to bed and all was done. I got to work on it.  I started by opening the display and remove the items that were inside and the wall paper. 


I went for an original wall paper, which I down sized and printed it. 


Once the wall paper was pasted in, I placed my dear old friend the doll Charles Dickens. 


The desk needed some cleaning from all the dust.


Finally I added all the pieces to the display. 


And here is the display book looking far much better than it did. 






So this is all for today. Hope you'll like it. At least I got to do something such as small in miniature after all. Hopefully, this week, it will be more easy going and I will get to work a bit on my project. Make sure to keep tuned for the next update on The Master Swordsman Pub & Inn. 

Take Care and See You Soon.

Hugs,

Rebecca xxx

10 comments:

  1. I love it, Rebecca! Even though stained wallpaper and dusty furniture was more appealing to me than the restored version... lol ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol indeed! trust you to like the stained wall paper, dust and cobwebs José. I know you love that stuff xxx

      Delete
    2. Haha, indeed! :) But I also love the way you restored this book display!

      Delete
    3. Thank you so much my dear José xxx

      Delete
  2. Excellent restoration. I find this fantastic scene. Compliments!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Elena. I'm pleased that you liked it xxx

      Delete
  3. Oh the demands of life and family! At least you know what your passions are, so when the kids are finally grown and on their own, the empty nest will be a little less hard to transition to. The box is lovely, as is the reason behind it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so very true Jodi! Thank you so much for your sweet comments. Xxx

      Delete
  4. Me gusta mucho la escena!!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete