Monday 21 March 2016

Working on the Living Room in the Tudor Manor

Hello everyone,

How are you all? Hope you all had a great weekend. Finally it is Spring! I love Spring. The weather gets warmer. Nature starts blooming and it keeps getting warmer. This means I get more energy as Winter doesn't agree with me at all.  This also means that I will get to work more on My Miniature World. I also wanted to welcome a new follower to my blog. Welcome nika-1983-ira!

Today I wanted to share with you some of my progress on the living room of my vintage dolls house the Tudor Manor. 

The Living Room
This is one of the biggest room of this dolls house so space was not a problem. It also has a built in fire place and the walls are paneled with wood. It also has a lovely velvety carpet. 

The Room

As you have seen previously I have added a 1930's fire place that  covers the opening of the fire place. I also added a circular mirror which was hand painted by my father and also  I have a miniature clock on top of the mantel. 

The Fire place
Even if the room is quite big I was still careful what to add and I didn't want extra big furniture for the room. I have chosen a small sofa and arm chair for the room. Once again I got some furniture kits from Jane Harrop. They are quite neat and have an amazing finish.

The kits that I got are the magazine rack. You wouldn't find a living room without one of these in the period. I have also printed some 1930's magazine covers to fill the rack.

The magazine rack
I also got the utility sideboard which is quite a lovely piece to build, with opening doors and drawers. This pieces fitted in so nicely and it was just right for the room. I have added some accessories to it too.

Utility sideboard
 Finally I got the octagon side table. This was quite a lovely piece and quite fashionable to the period. I have also added another lovely hand painted piece to it. A 1930's portable gramophone with records. It looks just right on it. 

Octagon Side table



1930's Portable Gramophone

The Walls did look a bit bare and needed a little color so I have added some frames with 1930's portraits. I am not quite happy yet and I am sure that I will be adding more to the walls.



In the 1930's televisions had already progressed quite a bit so I got this set and added a picture from the 1939 movie The Wizard of OZ. It is one of my favorite old movies that reminds me so much of my own childhood. I can say I loved it even if it wasn't in my era.

It seems there is Wizard of OZ on the Telly


In the room there was still something missing and as the room was decorated with mostly kit form furniture, I wasn't sure what to use as a coffee table. I have done some research for a 1930's coffee table and some how I liked this real one. So I decided to give it a try and make one myself.

To do this coffee table I used wood, perspex and lolly sticks to make the four legs.

Hand made 1930's coffee table



  I am so pleased how it turned out and fitted the room just perfectly. So far I think the room looks great. There is so much more that I want to add to this room. I am thinking of make a book case in the corner and add more accessories and lights.

And this is how the living room looks like so far.










I hope you have liked what I have done so far. There is so much that I still need to add and make but I think that now I am getting the feel of the period. 

This is all for today. Keep tuned for the next update on our 1930's project.

Take care and see you real soon.

Hugs,

Rebecca xxx

6 comments:

  1. Hi Rebecca! You did a good job of putting together this 30s room. I love the sofa and chair and all the accessories and other furniture you have gathered for this room. It looks very inviting and I love your pictures for the wall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lucille for your kind words. I am really pleased that you like it so far. There is still so much that I want to add.

      Delete
  2. Believe it or not a lot of this was still in homes in the 50's and part of the sixties! I see several things we had in our home.
    I wish I count the times we sat as a family and watched the Wizard of Oz. lol I am afraid our friend will not be able to see it from the sofa he is sitting in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi grandmommy I do agree with you that homes still looked like that in the 50's and 60's. Some of the fashion hasn't changed and most of the homes which obviously started being decorated in the 30's would have kept the furniture up till the 50's and 60's. I can't imagine that at that time anyone could change their style of furniture every 10 years.

      I loved watching Wizard of Oz as a child and I guess I still do. Yes I do agree that Mr. Nobel won't be able to watch the Tv from there. As I am still adding furniture to the room and accessories their will be some changes so eventually I think the Family Nobel will get to watch Wizard of Oz together comfortably.

      Delete
  3. Rebecca the room looks so perfect. I still can't get bow you do it all. The coffee table brings so much memories as my own granny had one just like it. You are such an inspiration to us all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Denise for your kind words. I really appreciate it. xxx

      Delete