Sunday 6 November 2011

Welcome to my blog!


Hello,

I want to welcome you all to my new blog. where I will be sharing with you my older projects and other works which are still in the process.

Before starting I would like to share with you some information about myself and how my hobby for dolls’ houses started. I am from Marsascala, Malta which is a small island right in the center of the Mediterranean Sea. I am 32 years old, married and a mommy of two. My hobbies are mainly dolls’ houses and crafts.

My very first childhood's dolls house 
Since I was a little girl I have always loved dolls’ houses. My very first dolls’ house was given to me by ‘Santa!’ (my parents)  when I was 4 years old which I still have and treasure. It was a Fisher Price dolls’ house and today my children love to play with it.  I remember  once when I was a little girl maybe 8 years old,  I was watching a movie where there was a nursery which had this massive dolls’ house in it and from that day I wanted a dolls’ house just like it.

As I grew up and become more independent my dream for a dolls’ house was still there and as I always loved crafts, I wanted to build a collectors dolls’ house myself. In 1996 I started building my first dolls’ house. Unfortunately in Malta at that time dolls’ houses was taboo. I couldn’t find anything. So I bought books and 'step by step' magazines which helped me to built the dolls’ house and it's furniture too. By that time I also learnt certain skills and  learnt how to use certain tools.

When most of the dolls’ house and some of the furniture was completed, I came across a small problem. How was I to do accessories for this dolls’ house? The soft furnishing was no problem like beddings, curtains and carpets as I did them myself but how was I to do china wear or glass wear? By that time surfing the internet was  pretty new for me too. I l searched for dolls’ houses and….BINGO! I found out about a whole new world of miniatures and dolls houses. I was thrilled and hooked up for life.

I was amazed with the little tiny things, so perfect and so very detailed. I never imagined that these things could be real and so  I never turned back. It took me 6 years to complete my first as I had also built a basement to fit underneath it. It’s been over 14 years since I have started building my first dolls’ houses. In these past years, since taking up this new hobby my life  had many changes. I turned from a teenager and became a young lady, a wife and a mother. But the love and passion for my dolls’ houses has never changed. I have built other projects through out the years and still have quite a few to start.  I would like to share them all with you in the future. I will do my best to post regularly  with more pictures and achievements. All my dolls houses are mainly kits by the Dolls House Emporium which are 1 inch (1:12) scale


Inside The Chestnuts 
The Chestnuts from outside


The photos posted today are of my first dolls house called 'The Chestnuts' that was built by myself. It is not a kit and the furniture is also done by myself. I will be posting pictures of every room so you can see them closely and I can explain more the techniques in detail. I hope I won’t bore you in the process. If any one wants to ask questions I would be glad to answer them.






Keep tuned as I will be adding more projects after this.

Take Care and See You Soon,

Rebecca xxx




7 comments:

  1. What a lovely blog and intro, I'll be back to read more, knowing your history and the history behind the house makes it even more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rebecca,
    I love your dining room. The fireplace and all these pieces of antique furniture are simply superb !! Great work.

    Greetings from Claudia, Hamburg

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi rebecca

    thanks for showing us your dolls house which is very pretty. Well done for all the different skills you have acquired to make them and all the accessories too.
    i have read several of your posts and i would appreciate more details of how the things were made.
    i see you are very inventive in producing crockery out of paper and cakes out of buttons...may i suggest you investigate using polymer clay for some of the accessories??
    http://www.sueheaser.com/index.php/sue-books/polymer-clay-books/53-making-dh-miniatures

    nsg

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nsg,

    Thank you for your comments.

    As this house was done years ago and the miniature world was very new to me, I didn't realize that in the future I would have my own blog where I could share my hobby, so I unfortunately I didn't take any photos of the process of my miniatures. But you do definitively have a point to add more details So I will be re making some accessories and take photos of the whole process so everyone could easily follow.

    I have been thinking for quite some time to use polymer clay for my accessories. Thanks for the link I will be definitely be purchasing the book. If you need any details on a particular accessory please don't hesitate to contact me.

    Regards,

    Rebecca xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi rebecca :)
    i have been using polymer clay (fimo) for a couple of years now. altho i do not make dolls house miniatures if you need any help with getting started with this medium pls ask as polymer clay can often be very hard and difficult to use. i learnt the hard way by trial and error, sore hands and the www. but why re-invent the wheel?
    i posted the link to the book as an example - i am sure you can find loads of polymer clay dolls house miniature accessories online :)
    i've always loved dolls houses and i'm looking forward to seeing more photos of your fantastic houses!!
    you never know..i may someday be tempted to kit out my childhood (inherited) dolls house :).
    nsg

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi again rebecca.
    do you have an email address where i could send you a pdf file that you will find interesting?
    nsg

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Nsg,

    Thank you for you comments. I have been looking around for some material and tools to use for the Polymer clay like Fino. I'm really interested too. I have seen tutorial on You Tube. I just haven't had enough courage to do it. The books is very interested and I also ordered a copy thanks to your help. I would love to have some help in this matter. My email is rebmicallef@gmail.com. Thanks a lot for your interest and help.

    Take Care,

    Rebecca xxx

    ReplyDelete