Monday, 19 May 2014

Decorating Inside The Coffee Corner Shop

Hello my dear friends.

I hope that you are all fine and that you have enjoyed your weekend. The days here are starting to get warmer but somehow it is not Summer yet. Yesterday was quite cloudy and we had a couple of rain showers in the evening. Any way I wanted to welcome three new followers to my blog Jerry, Maria and Chris P. A big WELCOME!

Finally today I am going to share with you some of the inside work of the new project The Coffee Corner. It is quite a spacious room but still not enough for what I have planned. Some how I wanted this shop to have a warm cosy feeling to it but with a little antique. I couldn't find the right wall paper that I wanted or even the flooring. To me they looked too modern or didn't really fit in this shop. So I have designed both the wall paper and the floor tiles for this room. For some reason I wasn't sure about the wall paper. To me it looked very crowded but I knew I made the right choice. I have also added a coffee border on the top and added a friendly posted on top of the door which fitted in the scene perfectly. 

Wall papering and flooring

The sign on top of the door
When the room was ready I started adding the furniture. Once again I had trouble adding furniture. Lots of pieces of furniture and nothing fits. I wanted to add a sink and there was no way I could fit it in. The counters where a must. Some sort of display was another must and a work surface had to be fitted in and that left me without adding my sink. So another idea came to my head to add a false door. Some how it added some depth to the room and even gave the impression that behind that door was a baking or staff's room. So I painted the door and added the necessary pieces of furniture. 

Adding the furniture pieces

After adding the furniture the wall paper wasn't sticking out like it was. I have also managed to make another poster to the scene. My first miniature to go in this room was my built and hand painted gramophone. This amazing and detailed piece was made by my father and fitted in perfectly. The room already looked whole with it.

The gramophone built and hand painted by my father

Finally I have made the coffee curtains for the bay windows with some red chequered miniature material and the room doesn't look bare like it used to.

The Coffee curtains

The Bay Windows

So far this it how it all looks likes. There is still so much to add and make. I can already imagine some nice pieces that I want to add. Most of the miniatures hopefully I will be making myself. So please do keep tuned as the next time we will meet it will be all about miniatures. 

Take Care and see you soon.


Rebecca xxx

Saturday, 3 May 2014

A New Project - The Coffee Corner

Hello my dear friends,

I hope that you are enjoying your weekend so far. The weather hasn't settled down yet here in Malta. We are still getting some rain showers but the days are getting warmer. I also wanted to welcome a new follower to my blog Hindustanka. Welcome!

Today I will be sharing with you a new project. This is another Dolls House Emporium discontinued kit which was called the Arkwright & Nephew corner shop. It is quite a nice property and very rare to find. I will be turning this property into a Coffee Shop which I will be calling it The Coffee Corner.

The Arkwright & Nephew DHE Kit

So firstly I started with the outside of this project. I wanted to give it an old style look. Something that would have come out from a story book by Dickens. I would say a very late Victorian style. I have blended 2 different kinds of brown shadings, a little maroon and to top it off an old golden shade. I was really happy with it's effect. I have also bricked the walls where the bay windows are with the Richard Stacy versi slips yellow/buff.

Coloring the outside

When I was happy with the outside. It was time for me to design the shop sign. As the property is set up in a corner I decided to call it 'The Coffee Corner'. I have designed the sign myself on the computer and printed it.

The Shop Sign 'The Coffee Corner'

Then I started working on the outside floor and roof. I have used cardboard from cereal boxes to make the floor tiles and the roof slates. I have painted them in grey acrylic paint and then brushed them with brown and green paints. I also added some modeling moss to make bushes for the outside. 

Tiling the outside floor

For the roof I have used the same method only that I added batons for the roof top. I have used thin strips of wood and painted them in grey. Then I used brown acrylics and brushed the roof to give it an aged look.  

The roof

And finally this is how it looks. I am really happy how it turned out. 

I also wanted to let you know that I have some new miniatures for sale at my etsy shop My Miniature World Shop.

I will be updating you soon with more of my progress on this project. So keep tuned as now it is time to start decorating the inside.

Take Care and see you soon.


Rebecca xxxx