Monday, 29 January 2018

Working on the Chimney for The Master Swordsman Pub & Inn

Hello everyone,

Hope you are all well and doing fine. It's been a few weeks since my last post. I have been busy working on the new project, planning and seeing what is needed. 

For some reason this building never came with a chimney stack or anything. I definitely wanted to add a fireplace in every story of the building, if they do fit. There was no way I was going to do that without having a chimney. 

The building is quite tall so I thought a nice big chimney would be more appropriate for it. I sketched a chimney to fit on the left hand side of the building, took the measurements and started working on it. I got some nice thick wood strips to build the chimney which were cut into three parts. 

When the design was done and ready, I glued the wood strips together and using poly-filler to fill in the groves to have an even surface. 

After letting it dry I painted it grey and started bricking the wall and sides using the stencil and brick compound. 

I also bricked the two side walls of the building. Once the brick compound was dry, I started shading the bricks to match the front and weathered them accordingly. 

Finally I added the roof tiles to the slanting sides of the chimney and weathered them, I also added lead using foil. And here are the results. 

It did take me a while to finish but at the end it was all worth it. 

I almost forgot. I also wanted to tell you that today My Miniature World Shop at Etsy is celebrating it's 5 Year Anniversary.  To show our appreciation to our loyal customers we are offering a 10% Discount on all orders over €50 from 29th - 31st January 2018. Coupon Code ANNIVERSARY05. A big THANK YOU!!! goes to everyone for their support and encouragement through out the years.

So this is all for today. Can't wait to start working on the inside of the building. Keep tuned for the next update. 

Take Care and See You Soon.


Rebecca xxx

Monday, 15 January 2018

New Project - The Master Swordsman Pub & Inn

Hello everyone,

How are you all? How is the New Year treating you? Can't believe that we are half way through the fist month. I have been keeping busy like always and I'm looking forward to this year. There is so much to do and so much to accomplish.

With the new year comes also the new dolls house project. It is another discontinued kit by the DHE which I have had for a couple of years. This one is called The Master Swordsman Pub & Inn which is going to be part of my Regent Street.

It is quite a nice kit. Slightly different in shape and layout which I really like. It has 3 big rooms and a roof garden. I always imagined turning this kit into some sort of guest house.

Like always, I studied the kit to see if I need to adapt or change anything. Fortunately there isn't any need of that. All I have to do is build a chimney wall on the outside of the building and add a central arched door for the roof garden.

I started off by dry building the kit to have a better idea, took notes of what supplies I needed and sketched the plans for the chimney.

Once that was complete I started by giving the undercoat paint to the building on both sides of the walls and floorings.

 The plans for this building is to brick the ground floor in red brick and use textured paint for the upper floors.  I used the stencil method with brick compound and started with the front of the shop.

When that was complete and dry, I shaded the bricks and weathered them to make them look a bit more realistic.

As the upper floors are going to be painted I thought of adding quoin stones using the stencil to give the building more detail.

I was eager to work on the shop's front window. Actually it was the first thing that I started. I was so looking forward to do the sign and all. I have painted the shop window in a dark brown with shadings of gold. The Outside Window frames of the upper floors are painted in cream while the sills are in the same dark brown.

I was pleased with the result of the shop's front, especially with the shop's sign that I designed myself. Below the shop's window, I wanted to brick the walls to match the remaining building only that I was pretty sure I was going to lose some detail of the structure so instead of using the stencil with the brick compound, I used brick cardboard slips. 

The coloring of the brick cardboard slips didn't match with the walls of the front due to the brick compound. Somehow with a little bit of paint and pastel coloring, I got to make the brick slips blend in with the brick compound.

Here are a few pictures of how the front looks so far.

It isn't much, but it's a start. So this is all for today. I'm hoping to continue working on the outside of the building in the coming days. Keep tuned for the next update on this new project.

Take Care and see you soon.


Rebecca xxx