Wednesday 10 July 2013

The Fairy's Nook - More work in progress!

Hello everyone,

I hope that you are all enjoying your summer. Here in Malta it's getting hotter and hotter doe I must admit this summer doesn't feel like summer at all. Maybe it's because I spend so much time at home with the kids that I don't even realize how hot it is outside. I also wanted to welcome a new follower to my Blog; Welcome Susan Edgar!

Today I will be sharing with you some more progress that I have been working on my Fairy's Nook.  As you may have noticed the one room is actually an octagon shape. It is quite spacious for one room but I have to fit everything in this 8 walled room which also has 4 windows and now an arched door. 

First, I started working on the floor. I have closed the small little opening which was originally the entrance to the building. Then I have used lolly pop sticks to cover the floor. It took me quite some time to finish due to the angled walls. Once the floor was covered I varnished it with a walnut stain. 

Covered floor with lolly pop sticks
 Then came the interior walls problem. Being a fairy's dwelling I didn't find the right wall paper for this room or at least what I wished for and I just couldn't imagine myself wall papering this room from the top with four windows. So my best option was to actually paint the room myself. I have used a very light yellow paint as the base color then with a ball of cotton I smudged green, pink and orange paint all over the walls. It was the perfect mix for this room and saved me the hassle of papering the walls. So at this point the interior was complete. 

The hand painted walls


The finished interior. 
Another challenge to this property was actually the door. The walls where not high enough to buy a DIY ready made door. The doors where just too big and I still wanted an arched door for this building. So as you all know I opened an arch and made sure that most of the beam work on the outside remained untouched. The problem was I really didn't know how I was going to make the door. I didn't want just a piece of wood cut in an arch shape and fitted in. I wanted it to look like a door. So my best option or the only option that I thought of was cutting a piece of a very tick cardboard and covered it from both sides with lolly sticks. Then I painted it and hinged it. I also added a small handle. It came out better than I thought.

My hand made door made out of lolly sticks




Then I added a front porch. The flooring once again is made out of lolly pop stick and I have added some railing to it. I have painted it with the same color as the wood beams. I have left one of the sides opened on purpose for the entrance. 

Front Porch and door



So this is how it is looking so far. I hope you like what I have done. 

 I have also worked some polymer clay miniatures which you will find available in my Etsy shop My Miniature World Shop. I have made a new fairy tea set and a toad stool fairies' village for a dolls house garden or fantasy project.

Toad Stool Fairies' Village






Fairy's Tea Set
 Well this is all for today. Please keep tuned for the next installment on my Fairy's Nook's progress.

Take Care and See you all soon.

Hugs,

Rebecca xxx




  

2 comments:

  1. what a cute door, I think it's coming along well

    Hugs
    Marisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Marisa. I really appreciate it. xxx

      Delete