Tuesday 9 August 2016

Completing the Living Room in Sea Shells

Hello Everyone,

Hope you are fine and doing well. August is here and it's my time to start thinking about the children's school days. Preparing their stationary, books and uniforms. Making sure that by September everything is ready and settled for their new scholastic year. 

During this weekend I was very busy finishing off the living room in the Summer House called Sea Shells. I have been making miniatures and adding some nice pieces. Once again restoration has proven me to be right. Even if I haven't changed the outside I think it looks much better. It was my second dolls house and I believe that I was still pretty raw but now I think you will see a great difference.

What do you think?



For some reason  I have realized that the room was looking childish. I don't know how to explain it. I just didn't feel comfortable with it anymore.

The living room before renovation
Ok you might say it did look cute but it was no longer me. I tried to keep the same few accessories around but added some new pieces.

I wanted to add a small coffee table to put between the two armchairs. I needed something low and small. Yes my dilemma you never find what you imagine. So back to the drawing table. I have designed this small circular coffee table. For the center I have cut a thin piece of perspex and stained it the same way I painted the kitchen. I think it really turned out fine. 

Scratch built Coffee Table

I added a few more furniture pieces such as shelves, stools and a small side hall table. I got them in bare wood so I could also match the color with the kitchen. 

To the small hall table I have added one of my father's hand painted phones, a small plant that I made and I also made a small sailing boat with polymer clay.

hand painted phone and hand made flower pot

Sailing boat made with polymer clay
 I wanted the kitchen cupboard to look a bit busy. The more the detail the better it looks. So I decided to go for a food preparation which I made with polymer clay. I have filled a pot with pasta and boiling water and added the ingredients on a chopping board to make the sauce for the pasta. Having a summer house with some good pasta what do you need more in life?

Food preparation made with polymer clay
With a good supper of pasta and sauce, I think you will all agree that a nice piece of cheese cake with fruit toppings and a nice glass of lemonade should be served afterwards.

Desert and lemonade made with polymer clay
To the kitchen cupboard I also decided to hand paint an electric kettle with flex. I think it looks cute on the cupboard.

Hand painted electric kettle
I fixed all accessories on the cupboard and they looked perfect. But still there was something that annoyed me. I would say it looked quite busy and messy but the sink looked to clean and too empty.

So I rolled up my sleeves again and  added two ceramic dinner plates that I made and dirtied them to make them look used. Using polymer clay, I have made a small bottle of Fairy Dish Washing Soap. Yes it is the brand that I use. I have also made the bottle look like it is half full of liquid soap and  also made the sponge. Still I wasn't happy, so just like the pot I have added the soapy water effect to the sink......and it was perfect.

The used sink
Food preparation
Cooking
The kitchen cupboard

As I didn't do a dining table but used a breakfast table  I have added the new accessories to it.





I also added some accessories to the coffee table and added the cushions to the arm chairs.



The Small Hall table was set under the hall mirror which looked perfect near the stair case.


The cat designed plates that I had stuck to the wall now are settled on the wall shelves. I didn't want to part from those plates.

And this completes the living room. Here are some pictures of the finished room.








I hope you have enjoyed the progress of this room. I am really pleased how it turned out and I still can't believe that the style and new pieces can change a room. A big thank you goes to Elizabeth from ELF Miniatures for customizing the wonderful kitchen cupboard kit. 

So this is all for today. Keep tuned for the next update on our Summer House. There is quite a lot of work to do in the upper room.

Take Care and see you real soon.

Hugs,

Rebecca xxx


14 comments:

  1. Your livig room looks very stylish! love your messy kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mirel. I love messy kitchens in miniature but not my own. xxx

      Delete
  2. You must be so pleased with yourself, it is an amazing room! Love all the details, the sink, plates, the fairy soap, the food board, love it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Alexandra, I am so pleased that you liked it xxx

      Delete
  3. As with any home, we always like to upgrade every now and then to keep things new and exciting. Love the upgrades on this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Yvette. I have been wanting to upgrade this for quite sometime but now I think it will remain the way it is. xxx

      Delete
  4. I love the transformation. Much more contemporary. Your attention to detail is really paying off, I'd happily go and sit there to relax! Make-over success for sure!
    Hugs,
    Veronique

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Veronique for kind words. I really appreciate it. xxx

      Delete
  5. I watch a lot of home improvement shows and the hipsters call what you did Open concept or multi use rooms. I think it's nice to be able to see from one end of your house to the other and use rooms for more than just one purpose. great job

    Hugs
    Marisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Marisa. Sometimes it is very difficult when you have 1 or two rooms and you have to incorporate as much as possible the essentials but so far I am managing. xxx

      Delete
  6. I love what you have done to this room. It looks so cozy and welcoming. Fantastic job.
    Hugs Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Maria for your lovely comments. They mean so much to me. xxx

      Delete
  7. The transformation is perfect. It looks so cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much Faby, I am so glad that you liked it xxx

    ReplyDelete